- replacement re‧place‧ment [rɪˈpleɪsmənt] noun1. [countable] a product, piece of equipment etc that takes the place of the one currently being used:replacement for
• The device was designed as a replacement for the standard telephone.2. [countable] HUMAN RESOURCES someone who takes the place of another person in a job, position etc:replacement for
• The company will seek a replacement for its chief finance officer.3. [uncountable] COMMERCE when a company gives someone a product instead of one that they bought that was damaged or not perfect:
• the replacement of damaged goods
* * *replacement UK US /rɪˈpleɪsmənt/ noun► [C] a thing or person that takes the place of something or someone else: a replacement for sb/sth »
We now use LEDs as replacements for conventional light bulbs.a permanent/temporary replacement »
She has agreed to take on the role of chairman until a permanent replacement is found.»
He remained on the board until his replacement arrived in mid-March.► [U] the act of replacing one thing or person with another: replacement of sth »
Water prices will go up to pay for the replacement of a crumbling pipe network.»
They make replacement parts for tractors.»
The company has hired 42 replacement workers.
Financial and business terms. 2012.